Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Electro-Space. Electro-Tool.

In this age of technology, it is difficult to distinguish the difference between an electronic writing space and tool.  Do you think of your blog as a writing space or tool?  How about Facebook?  For me, the idea of writing space and tool are nearly one in the same.  The main difference may be the intention.  For instance, if I am writing on my blog to simply share thoughts, that is a writing space.  Writing is the action, and the computer is the tool I use to express that action.  The blog itself is a writing space.  HOWEVER, the intention of the blogger may change it to a writing tool.  Try to follow me... If the intention of the blogger is to receive feedback, s/he is using the blog as a tool to exchange with other people.  If a blogger happens to receive a comment without trying to receive a comment, then I would classify the blog as a space.

Facebook is a good example.  There are boxes an FB user uses to insert comments on photos, and to let everyone they are connected to know what they are doing.  Those are all tools to communicate and exchange with other FB users.  An FB profile is the only writing space where there is no invitation to receive feedback/comments from other users.  Other than the profile, everything else are writing tools used for the purpose of exchanging thoughts or giggles.

My intention right now is see what you think.  Use my electronic tool, and let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not quite sure I followed, but I think that facebook is more of a communication tool than writing space/writing tool... like I wouldn't call AIM a writing space, I would call it a communication tool. There are places on facebook which provide writing spaces, but it depends how/if someone takes advantage of it/uses in that way. For instance you can write a "Note" which is like a blog, and that could be a writing space for you. Or you could come up with something clever and use that as your "mood" and then that's a writing space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do follow what you are saying about how a blog can be both a writing space and a writing tool -- at different times or in different ways. I think you are making sense, and it is smart!

    One of the claims Axel Bruns makes in the book we are reading is that many online spaces are "liminal." Do you know that fancy academic word? It means in the in between spaces -- neither quite here nor there, neither quite this nor that. It gets used a lot in post-colonial studies, but I think it applies to online writing spaces/tools, increasingly.

    ~ Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of the user's intention determining whether or not the site is a writing tool or writing space. Are you referring to how with a tool, the user can distance himself/herself from the site, and with a space, there is more intended interaction between user and the site? Or perhaps, your definition extends beyond this. It's a great idea, and I look forward to your next post(s).

    ReplyDelete